It’s frustrating when would-be shoppers leave your site without finishing checkout.
While you can’t run after them to rescue the sale, you can send them follow-up emails. That is, if you manage to capture their email.
Before we go into the “how”, it’s essential to clear up an often-misused term. If you look at an eCommerce conversion funnel, there are various potential drop-off points.
First, you have a bounce, where a visitor doesn’t move past the landing page. If they browse a few pages and leave, that’s “browse abandonment”.
If a visitor adds an item to their cart, but they leave before making it to the checkout page, that’s “cart abandonment”. Once they’ve made it to the checkout page, any exit from that point is “checkout abandonment”.
The problem: cart abandonment is often used synonymously with checkout abandonment. And many “cart abandonment” solutions are actually just checkout abandonment solutions.
However, if you can trigger cart recovery emails when a visitor actually abandons their cart, you have the potential to recover a lot more sales.
Capturing Emails for Cart Abandonment Campaigns
Digioh specializes in increasing conversions with pop-ups, site personalization, and cart abandonment features.
We’re a true “cart abandonment solution” as we can capture the emails of abandoning shoppers even before they reach checkout.
Here are some of the ways Digioh can capture emails from abandoning shoppers.
For returning visitors:
- We can retrieve emails of logged-in visitors from their account to trigger a cart recovery email or browse abandonment emails.
- If returning visitor is not logged in, we retrieve their email address from a cookie/local storage.
For first-time visitors, we can use a mix of strategies to capture their email:
- Exit-intent pop-up with a special gift or coupon offer.
- Other forms on your site, such as product preference quizzes.
- If the visitor arrives via your email newsletter, Digioh can capture email addresses that are appended to the URL
A few more important considerations for a cart/checkout abandonment tool
As you choose a cart abandonment solution, there are a few more considerations to keep in mind.
- Does it integrate with your marketing stack? How flexible and customizable is the integration? Can you collect custom field data and pass it directly to your ESP?
- Can you control the timing of the cart recovery emails, so there’s a delay that allows shoppers to come back and finish shopping?
- Does your solution offer a one-click cart rebuild feature?
- Does your solution offer mobile cart and checkout abandonment?
- And important: if you’re in the EU, does your solution have GDPR-compliant settings?
Digioh has 400+ built-in integrations, plus we build completely custom back-end integrations. Whatever your setup, we’re happy to help you.
We also give you full control over your cart abandonment campaigns, including:
- Timing: control exactly when your cart recovery emails are sent
- GDPR-compliant cart abandonment settings
- Mobile checkout and cart abandonment
- One-click cart rebuild feature
With all these strategies in place, Digioh’s clients see 10% increase in revenue, on average.
Want to learn more about our Digioh’s eCommerce solution? Check out our shopping cart abandonment features. We’d be happy to answer any questions (even if they’re not Digioh related)!